Carrageenan is Refined Kappa Carrageenan derived from Euchema Cottoni and similar species. It is extracted from seaweed, then processed and pulverized to meet the general required parameters for its use in food.
Carrageenan is a natural hydrocolloid that is extracted from seaweeds (species like Euchema Cottoni). Sarda produces carrageenan using crops that are mainly cultivated in the coastal area of Southern India, Indonesia and Philippines. Its processing is done to remove unwanted natural fibres and mucilage of weed and thus its final product is in powder form. Standard products are made with the addition of small quantity of KCL, Sugar and other ingredients to maintain general specifications. As a polysaccharide with a High molecular weight s, carrageenan is made up of repeating galactose units and 3,6 anhydrogalactose (3,6-AG), both sulfated and nonsulfated. The units are joined by alternating α-1,3 and β-1,4 glycosidic linkages.There are three main commercial classes of carrageenan:
- Kappa Carrageenan that forms strong, rigid gels in the presence of potassium ions, and reacts with dairy proteins. It is sourced mainly from Kappaphycus alvarezii or Euchema Cottoni sea weeds.
- Iota Carrageenan that forms soft gels in the presence of calcium ions. It is produced mainly from Eucheuma denticulatum.
- Lambda carrageenan that although does not gel but can be used to thicken dairy products. In aqueous systems it can act as a suspending and emulsifying stabilizer, thickener, binder and gelling agent.
Apart from food applications, Carrageenan can act as a good gelling agent for various Industrial and household applications as well. Air-Freshener Gel, Tooth paste, colour transfer painting, coating etc. are the examples.
Sarda is the largest carrageenan producer in India and is capable to produce Semi-Refined and Refined types of Kappa and Iota Carrageenan.
In combinations with various other Gums Carrageenan can impartvarious properties , so it is possible to use Carrageenan as the main texturing additive in various food and non-food applications. Some of these applications are:
- Desserts, carrageen, ice cream, cream, milkshakes, yogurts, salad dressings, sweetened condensed milks
- Sauces: to increase viscosity
- Beer: clarifier to remove haze-causing proteins
- Processed meats (e.g., ham): as a substitute for fat, to increase water retention, to increase volume and to improve slicing
- Toothpaste: as a stabilizer to prevent constituents from separating
- Fruit Gushers: as an ingredient in the encapsulated gel
- Air freshener gels
- Biotechnology: to immobilize cells and enzymes
- Pharmaceuticals: used as an inactive excipient in pills and tablets
- Soy milk and other plant milks: to thicken
- Diet sodas: to enhance texture and suspend flavours
- Pet food
- Personal lubricants
- Vegetarian hot dogs
- GELCOL SE-01 (Refined Kappa Carrageenan)
- GELCOL SC-01 (Semi Refined Kappa Carrageenan)
- GELCOL SCM-01 (Semi Refined Iota Carrageenan)
- GELCOL SM-01 (Refined Iota Carrageenan)